This spring, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and Viz Media are bringing the first twenty-four episodes of Studio Deen's anime series, Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, to Blu-ray by way of a 3-disc Set 1 release. Based on the Hiroshi Shiibashi manga of the same name, Nura arrives on April 2, 2013.
Rikuo Nura lives in Ukiyoe Town and looks like your typical junior high student. But unlike his classmates, he lives in an old, Japanese-style house full of yokai that serve him. Unbeknownst to many, Rikuo is the grandson of Nurarihyon, who is the leader of all yokai. Rikuo is regarded as the Third Heir of the Nura Clan, but has yet to officially take his seat.
Special features and exact technical specifications have yet to be revealed. Set 1 episodes include:
1. Becoming the Lord of Pandemonium: Rikuo is in line to be the Third Heir of the Nura Clan, but has yet to assume the role. Everyone around him wants him to be the Third Heir, but Rikuo just wants to live a normal life as a human.
2. Poison Wings Flutter in the Bamboo Thicket: Zen, the master of potions who has always been like a brother to Rikuo, pays a visit to the Nura Clan, accompanied by his servant Hebidayu. Nurarihyon had invited Zen, seeking his help to convince Rikuo to become the Third Heir.
3. Yura Keikain and the Kiyojuji Paranormal Patrol: Yura Keikain, a new student in Rikuo's class, seems to hit it off with Kiyotsugu when they start talking about yokai. Kiyotsugu gets a little carried away and decides to start the Kiyojuji Paranormal Patrol to search for yokai.
4. The Rat of Darkness Devours the Cat: It's been some time since Nurarihyon excommunicated the Kyuso Clan. Kyuso, the head of the clan,kidnaps Rikuo's classmates Kana and Yura and demands that Rikuo abdicate his succession to the Third Heir.
5. Red Plum Blossoms On the Demons' Mountain: Rikuo develops a fever, and his classmates Kiyotsugu, Kana, and Yura pay him a surprise visit. Tsurara, who was taking care of Rikuo, panics when she sees Kana. But then, Kiyotsugu interrupts with an announcement regarding the Kiyojuji Paranormal Patrol.
6. A Trap is Set on the Evil Mountain: Rikuo and his friends arrive at Mt. Nejireme, which happens to be the domain of a Nura Clan affiliate, the Gyuki Clan. The mountain is oozing with yokai energy, and Yura the onmyoji is not the only one who perceives the eeriness lingering in the air.
7. Darkness Moves on the Night of the New Moon: The Gyuki Clan attacks Rikuo and his friends on Mt. Nejireme. Gozumaru goes after Tsurara, while Mezumaru pursues Yura.
8. Cold-Blooded Umewakamaru!: In the Heian period, Umewakamaru was born into a noble family. He was gifted young man exceling in fencing and academics. However, one day, he is informed that his mother is seriously ill.
9. Gyuki's Beloved Nura Clan: When Gyuki crosses swords with Rikuo, he sees for himself the young Master's true power. Gyuki explains his decision to rebel and insists that he will no longer turn against the clan.
10. The Demon Mirror Devours the Fruit: The Purple Mirror, also known as Ungaikyo has been said to show evil. This mirror slowly turned into a yokai after displaying so much evil on itself.
11. The Vanguard Wind Blows from the West: The Nura Clan enjoys a moment of peace before it encounters another threat. The new enemy is the mysterious yokai, Muchi, who wields a poisonous wind like a whip.
12. Tamazuki and the Seven Shadows: Nurarihyon is suddenly attacked by Muchi, but unfortunately, that is not the extent of the Nura Clan's problems. A young man by the name of Inugamigyobu-Tanuki Tamazuki reveals himself to Rikuo.
Bonus Recap Episode - Lord Gyuki's Rebellion: The Whole Story: Gyuki's rebellion against the Nura Clan shook the foundations of the clan. But ironically, Gyuki's whole story is not one of betrayal, but of pain and loyalty.
13. The Inugamigyobu Tanuki Tamazuki's Beckoning: After his fight against Muchi, Nurarihyon disappears. And Rikuo is left in charge of the Nura Clan, which is being terrorized by Tamazuki's men.
14. Fierce Fire and Sudden Rain: Inugamigyobu-Tanuki Tamazuki and his 88 Demons of Shikoku appear before Rikuo again. Tamazuki loudly declares that they will take over the Nura Clan.
15. The Fighting Girls: Kagibari-Onna, one of the Seven Phantom Travelers, has infiltrated the Nura Clan by working as a waitress at Bakenekoya. But Yura isn't fooled by her disguise and informs Rikuo.
16. The Sublime Spirit Burns Crimson:
While Tamazuki prepares to attack, Kiyotsugu tells the Kiyojuji Paranormal Patrol that he has made a discovery from his yokai investigation. Someone has been destroying shrines all over Ukiyoe Town.
17. Natsumi and Lord Senba: Natsumi Torii is the only person who continues to pay her respects to the local deity, Lord Senba. Natsumi decides to pay a visit to Lord Senba's shrine, but Lord Sodemogi is headed to the same place to continue his killing spree of local deities.
18. The Evil Dog Howls at the Ruins: After Lord Sodemogi's demise, the Shikoku yokai plan to kill Rikuo. But the bloodthirsty Inugami gets impatient and goes after Rikuo on his own.
19. The Curtain Falls in the Darkness: Inugami finally shows himself. His head tears off his body and grows longer and longer.
20. The 7:3 Pledge of Loyalty: Upon destroying most of Ukiyoe Town's local deities and confirming the strength of the Nura Clan with Inugami's attack, Tamazuki decides to finally bring on the main assault on Rikuo's clan.
21. Towards the Sunrise: When the Nura Clan hears about the Shikoku yokai's attack on the Chichibo fortress, its members busily prepare to mobilize their small number of troops.
22. Darkness and Ice: The great battle involving the Night Parade of a Hundred Demons has finally begun. Gozumaru and Mezumaru disguise themselves to try to get information about the enemy position.
23. Devil's Hammer: The battle between the Nura Clan and the Shikoku yokai is slowly going in favor of Rikuo and his friends. But strangely enough, Tamazuki is still beaming with confidence.
24. The Moon in the Sky: Rikuo and Tamazuki face off, and they exude an enormous amount of yokai aura as they fight to prevail over one another. The power of the Devil's Hammer is nothing to be taken lightly.
Bonus Recap Episode - The Afterglow of Youth: Tamazuki comes into Nura Clan territory to threaten Rikuo with the sword that once devastated his own father's army of yokai.
No, that's just music from the series composed by Kouhei Tanaka, whose done some pretty outstanding work over his career. It sounds awkward because it's merely part of a track that's played out of context to a nonsensical trailer that cuts out way too quickly.