Home Theater Specialists of America (HTSA) has announced that they are now officially supporting Blu-ray as their sole high definition movie format. After conducting an internal survey of their customer base, they discovered that 92% of high definition players sold were Blu-ray, with the remaining 8% being HD DVD or combo players. HTSA based their decision to back Blu-ray on those numbers which clearly show the preference of their customer base.
Jay Vandenbree, President of Consumer Sales for Sony commented, "At a time when ever-changing technology tests just how much one can know about everything, HTSA has chosen Blu-Ray Disc as the format they support. I think it speaks volumes when support comes from those who specialize in home theater, and are closest to the consumer."
HTSA represents 62 home theater installers/retailers and $500M in sales.
I happy Sony makes comments like this, comments reiterating the successes of Blu-Ray. Sometimes though I wish another BDA member would come forward and make supportive Blu-Ray comments. If it happens, I wish it would happen more often.
Blu-ray is droping the bomb on hd dvd, like 8% we should tell Warner and paramount. And in the next 3 months new players,new movies,increasing sales,plus we are getting more support,and lastly hd dvd fanboys are losing reasons one at a time why hd dvd is better.
YIKES! we all know that early adopters are the ones that spend every last cent on the latest stuff (like me) or ones that can afford to hog wild w/the latest stuff - price is no object, and the guys that belong to the HTSA are the ones that cater to that second group. Early adopters are basically the consumers that "set the Pace" w/the direction of new formats/electronics, and the fact that the HTSA wants to settle this war once and for all shows that ANYBODY who has a stake in this war needs to grow balls and decide on one or the other. the fact that Blockbuster, Target, most movie studios, and now HTSA had the cojones, this pattern will only accelerate in our favor. REMEMBER- these studios/groups are making decisions on FUNDAMENTALS - technical superiority and sales numbers - HDDVD's supporters are making decisions based on MONEY, which has NOTHING to do w/format (unless that $$$ is tied to disc/player sales)
Yah I believe it. I went by Best Buy today and talked to the magnolia guy and he said 85% of the players they sell are blu-ray and while I was there 5 people were in there interested in blu-ray. Oh and the blu-ray self doubled to 4 while the hd dvd is still 2.
Sorry Toshiba and M$, over blown adverts can only make one thing popular at a time. Just pray you sell enough of the way over hyped Halo 3 to cover all your already massing losses. You can only pull in so many idiots, home theater peeps are a different breed.
HD DVD has higher quality standards and produces a better picture... no it doesn't.
HD DVD has the soul support of the adult film industry... no it doesn't
HD DVD has the backing of Microsoft... I guess that is why many retailers have red tagged the XBox
HD DVD add-on down to below $150. Furthermore at the Tokyo Game Show Microsoft announced
there would be no new model of a HD DVD add-on or XBox with built in HD DVD... are they very
quietly dropping support for HD DVD????
HD DVD has the soul support of Wal-Mart; who this Christmas will carry a sub $200 HD DVD player...
meanwhile Wal-Mart announces expanded Blo-ray sections and says no to Venture's sub $200 HD
Poor HD DVD; the more they tighten their grip the more that slips through their fingers.
Is it any wonder? HTSA is a buying group, not a professional association. Toshiba isn't a vendor they carry and Sony is. Of course 92% of the HD player purchases made through them by their participating dealers are going to be BD, because they don't sell standalone HD DVD players. LG and their combo player must have made up the balance. I noticed that they carry Integra too, so maybe they will start selling some HD DVD players in the next few months after Integra releases their player. At the end of the day it means nothing.
alas for you lot, the player data is sadly skewed by the PS3 numbers, which are not widely used for BD playback. The numbers of standalone players sold are minute compared to PS3. BD success is still completely reliant on PS3 ownership. So, you PS3 owners, better get out there and spend your hard earned on some movies, or all your optimism will come to nowt. It's still anyone's game.